12.4.09

The Summer of Naked Swim Parties by Jessica Anya Blau

The Summer of Naked Swim Parties
Fourteen-year-old Jamie will enver forget the summer of 1976. It's the summer when she has her first boyfriend, cute surfer Flip Jenkins; it's the summer when her two best freinds get serious about sex, cigarettes, and tanning; it's the summer when her parents throw, yes, naked swim parties, leaving Jamie flushed with embarrassment. And it's the summer that forever changes the way Jamie sees the things that matter: family, friendship, love, and herself.

1 Star After reading the description of the novel, you may ask yourself... "Dearest Savannah, what were you thinking, reading a book such as this?" Well, dear reader... I thought, when I picked up the book, it might have some sort of deeper meaning - a new and intriguing perspective on the world. Maybe, I thought as I held the novel in my hands at Barnes and Noble in front of the BUY TWO GET ONE FREE book stand, I will learn something about myself from reading this novel. Something I would normally never pick up under any circumstances. Unfortunately, I was seriously disappointed. Not only was this book uninteresting and not well-written, but the main character was weak and floppy - easily swayed and lacking in character. She reminded me of one of those people that seem washed out or diluted of character - someone you would never remember if you met them in a group, and someone that wouldn't intrigue you in a million years. She doesn't do anything because she thinks it's a good idea, and spends the entire novel trying to get tan, be liked by boys, and make her ridiculous friends like her. I'm not sure why I finished the book.

The Final Verdict: Old-school Belly Flop

No comments:

Post a Comment